My parents and I were in conversation with a friend yesterday, of course talking about Kate. Somehow the conversation wound around to my childhood disposition. I am the first to admit I was a terror. I would do anything to rebel. My parents told me to be quiet, I would scream louder...just testing limits. My parents were relaying this to the friend saying that when they told me to not scream so loud...I would question why not and scream louder. I in no way condone this, as it was very disrespectful to my parents, and I was at an age I should have known better. I love and adore my parents and they are my best friends (and have been since about fresh/soph year in high school).
However, looking at this from my point of view today. I want a child like me. Not in the screaming, but in the questioning. I want my child to constantly ask "Why not?" I want Kate (and all my future children) to have confidence (without cockiness) and go about life questioning it's boundaries.
It has bode well for me so far. I went to a small highschool, but up until my junior year really, no one thought I was "that" smart. I was smart, just not "that" smart. Low and behold, I got a great (IMO) ACT score and was a valedictorian. I knew I needed these two things to get into my dream school, University of Illinois, pursuing my dream degree, Civil or Mechanical Engineering. I was in a town pageant after my senior year. During the interview, I was questioned about my collegiate aspirations by one of the judges. "Being female, don't you think engineering is ambitious" I responded yes, but I can do it. I would receive the raised eyebrows and sketchy responses many times regarding my degree. Low and Behold, Here I am, a Civil Engineer from the U of I.
Next, and more recent, when people asked me about epidurals and such I would say my goal was med free. I got many a side eye for this and those "I wanted to too Honey, but I got the epidural, and it was heaven" type comments. I stood by it, because Why not? I mean, were people saying I couldn't do it???? How dare they challenge me! And I did it and I am proud. I am proud to have experienced childbirth, for me , Kate, and all those naysayers.
So if Kate is just like me, I will bite my tongue and encourage her to question everything, because Why Not?
I want you to know that I've always thought you were a talented individual who was SMART and knew what you wanted to do, and could achieve anything you set your mind to! I have always respected you and looked up to you for those wonderful qualities you possess. =) I love you!
ReplyDelete