Saturday, March 13, 2010

Update on Me

Since Baby Kate thinks I have better things to do than sleep, I thought I would give a little update.
On Thursday at Baby Class, we took a tour of the OB department. I had been up there a few times to see Darlene, get my rhogam and listen to Kate on the doppler when I had my scare t 11 weeks (so long ago!). But this was different. I was there to get acquainted with the room I would be in when I welcomed my little girl into the world. I knew the delivery and everything would be hard on Dan. He doesn't take hospitals well, and to see me in pain (albeit good pain) would be enough to send him over the edge. Well, apparently the hospital tour was enough to send him over the edge...He was shaky and nervous.
At first, I thought maybe it was a mistake to take him. It just made him worry about all the problems Baby Kate and I could face in delivery. But now, I think it was good. He is aware of everything and hopefully it won't be such a shock to his system when it is finally happening. And I have to say, that I am more afraid of medical intervention than I am the pain of going natural. I have total faith that my body can do this. If complications arise, I will take them in stride and make decisions then. I am too excited about meeting my little girl to let details get in the way.
In other news, Dan leaves for Texas on Sunday for work. I will miss him terribly. I am not worried about labor yet, but I have become more dependent on him. He has been great about picking laundry baskets up off the floor for me and putting my socks on and such. I feel that pregnancy has brought us to a new level of closeness. I don't know how single women go through pregnancy alone. I know when I am going through contractions at home before we go to the hospital, I can lean on him, figuratively and literally. I know that although he won't like seeing me in pain, he will tell me how great I am doing and stand behind my decision to have med-free birth. It means so much to me that he thinks a baby breastfeeding for the first time is as awesome as I think it is. He has stood beside me this whole pregnancy and carried me when I could not make it alone.

1 comment: